Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  ANIA SoCal Chapter Hits a Home Run

Posted 07-16-2015 14:03

ANIA June 2015 Email Newsletter  

(l-r): Betty Blahna (City of Hope), Tess Settergren (Cedars Sinai), Meg Furukawa (UCLA), Ellen Pollack (UCLA), Cheryl Parker (ANIA BOD), Linda Privette (St. Joe's), Cynthia Yates (Providence)

ANIA SoCal Chapter Hits a Home Run

On June 17, 2015, the ANIA SoCal chapter held its first meeting. What a success it was! Forty-eight people braved the LA traffic (coming from as far as Palm Springs and San Diego) to network with their fellow informatics nurses. Hosted on the UCLA campus, the event started with the first official chapter meeting, where officers were introduced and bylaws were accepted. Members stepped up to the plate to volunteer for the various committees. Dr. Cheryl D. Parker, ANIA Board Member, provided the evening's educational offering, "Developing a Powerful Nursing Practice," and attendees received CEUs. Members then gathered for a reception hosted by PatientSafe Solutions. The excitement among the group was electric as both new and experienced informatics nurses networked and made plans for what they can accomplish.

• 2.  RE: ANIA SoCal Chapter Hits a Home Run

Posted 07-18-2015 14:50

Just a quick note on related activities...I I'm very excited to report that on Monday I will be attending my first GAPFON meeting here in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Paired with Sigma Theta Tau International Research Congress, this is the second meeting of GAPFON ever, an organization committed to global nursing (Global Advisory Panel on the Future of Nursing).

I regret not being able to get to our recent informatics meeting at UCLA but it's considerably far, esp on a weeknight, from my new post (September 2014) in San Bernardino: CSU Chair of the Department of Nursing.

On Monday and Tuesday here in San Juan, I hope to learn what activities in Global Nursing are being established that are of an informatics nature and report back to informatics groups. What a wonderful bridge opportunity this seems to be.i can't imagine taking many steps in Global Nursing without some of them being  informatics related.

Blessed in Puerto Rico,

Dr. Mary Anne Schultz