Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  MSN in Health Informatics virtual practicum

Posted 04-02-2020 22:17

Hello,

I'm reaching out to this community in hopes of some feedback concerning my final capstone practicum for my informatics graduate program.  I was informed that due to the current pandemic, that my practicum has been altered to a virtual one.  It was due to start in May.

Any idea who would be willing to take on a grad student for a virtual practicum???  My clinical site rejected the idea and therefore my practicum that I secured over a year ago is lost.  Although I hope to perhaps delay the established practicum, I am trying to be proactive and find another site.

Thanks for any and all feedback

------------------------------
    Jennifer Campbell
    Huntington Beach CA

• 2.  RE: MSN in Health Informatics virtual practicum

Posted 10-30-2020 22:18
    Hi Jennifer, have you asked your university for sites where there is already a contract as well as a contact at these sites that has previously served as a mentor? My organization is always open to students, but getting a new contract is not easy.

Denise Tyler, DNP, MSN/MBA, RN-BC
    dtyler1979@sbcglobal.net

• 3.  RE: MSN in Health Informatics virtual practicum

Posted 11-03-2020 19:50
    Denise,

Thanks for the feedback.  I was able to obtain a virtual practicum and successfully graduated this summer.  The university was extremely helpful, though not specifically to provide previous mentors.  All things happen for a reason, and my final capstone was a very valuable experience.  I am currently focusing on finding employment in the informatics field to leverage my many years of clinical expertise and education.  I am always open to any feedback on finding fulfilling opportunities to advance my career at this time.

Thanks again,
    Jen Campbell

Jennifer Campbell
    MemorialCare
    Huntington Beach CA

• 4.  RE: MSN in Health Informatics virtual practicum

Posted 11-04-2020 14:22
    Congratulations, can you share your experience doing your practicum virtually?

Denise Tyler, DNP, MSN/MBA, RN-BC
    dtyler1979@sbcglobal.net

• 5.  RE: MSN in Health Informatics virtual practicum

Posted 11-04-2020 18:24
    Denise,

Thank you!  I'm grateful for both my academic experience and the ability to finish my degree in a timely matter despite pandemic interference! 

For my virtual practicum, I was presented with an opportunity to develop curriculum for health informatics professionals in introductory Python programming language. This was a new module to the HI program and had to be developed from the ground up.  The nature of the project lended itself to the virtual platform as it required extensive research and material development, as well as assignments, instructor materials, and syllabi.  In addition, testing of the materials could also be done remotely. Tying in the programming language impact into healthcare was also a component of the content/assignment creation.  The practicum had the unexpected benefit of providing me with both curriculum development and Python programming experience.  My preceptors were very engaged and provided guidance while allowing me autonomy to develop the materials for novice informatics students.  

Personally, I am a proactive and autonomous worker, so I enjoyed this project tremendously.  However, it is possible that not everyone would enjoy this format.

Jennifer Campbell
    MSN, RN
    MemorialCare
    Huntington Beach CA