Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Getting a job in nursing informatics

Posted 09-30-2018 18:04
    Hi,  I am interested in an job in informatics however I dont have the experience and everywhere that I apply they are looking for someone with experience. Is there anywhere that will train me because I really want to learn and am very interested and motivated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------
    Monica Patel
    Staff Nurse
    Sugarland TX

• 2.  RE: Getting a job in nursing informatics

Posted 10-01-2018 07:37
    Hi Monica, 

Does the facility where you work have an informatics committee? As I am nearing the end of my MSN in Informatics program I find myself thinking the same thing you are. However, I have become the co-chair of my hospital's Informatics & Technology Committee which has given me substantial experience in the world of informatics and exposure to several contacts within our organization that could potentially help me when I am ready to transition away from the bedside. I would reach out to your leadership and see if there are any opportunities within your organization that could help you gain some type of experience in informatics. 
    Good luck!

Mary Cruz Silvia, BSN CCRN
    RN III
    Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital
    Critical Care Services
    mcruz2@houstonmethodist.org (972) 841-8919

• 3.  RE: Getting a job in nursing informatics

Posted 10-02-2018 10:53

Hi Monica!

The responses from this group are great ways to gain experience in Nursing Informatics.

There are a lot of nursing initiatives that begins at the bedside. Your active participation in applying informatics solutions to these initiatives can also be counted as an experience.  Take note of measurable outcomes (i.e. patient care, patient safety, healthcare cost, workflow efficiency, etc.) and impact (unit, department/service, organization).  In addition, you can also participate in organizational initiatives such as User Acceptance Testing (UAT), systems implementation and/or system upgrades, etc.

Lastly, I find formal education in Nursing Informatics as most beneficial.  Not only do you gain valuable knowledge, you will also have opportunity to train with preceptors for your capstone projects and start networking with peers in the field.

Good luck!

Miko

Mercury Sitoy Cacanindin, MSN RN-BC, CNN

Program Manager, Nursing Integration

Executive Nursing Practice Group

Harris Health System

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
    If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the
    sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and any attachments from
    your computer system.

To the extent the information in this e-mail and any attachments contain
    protected health information as defined by the Health Insurance Portability
    and Accountability Act of 1996 ("HIPAA"), PL 104-191; 45 CFR Parts 160 and
    164; or Chapter 181, Texas Health and Safety Code, it is confidential and/or
    privileged.  This e-mail may also be confidential and/or privileged under
    Texas law.  The e-mail is for the use of only the individual or entity named
    above.  If you are not the intended recipient, or any authorized
    representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
    review, dissemination or copying of this e-mail and its attachments is
    strictly prohibited.

• 4.  RE: Getting a job in nursing informatics

Posted 10-01-2018 09:07
    Experience can come from all avenues. I see candidates where they do not realize they have the experience to apply. Example:
    1. Being a Super User
    2. Projects you have done in school or part of your nursing portfolio where the project surrounded Technology
    3. Professional organization- you are taking initiative to reach out to this group. Get involved in our Houston- ANIA Chapter

Sincerely,
    Kathleen Ulanday