Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  MSN INFORMATICS PRACTICUM MENTOR NEEDED-TAMPA FL

Posted 03-10-2017 22:04
    Good Afternoon All,
    My name is Lindsay Corwin, and I am a MSN student with CCN in the Phi Pi chapter of Sigma Theta Tau, focusing in Nursing Informatics. I am eligible for the nursing informatics practicum starting September 2017. I am located in Tampa, FL. I have been attempting to secure a practicum site for Nursing Informatics, I have applied to one place, have yet to hear back from them.I have spoken with three other places,but they noted that they  do not have/or are accepting any MSN student opportunities at this time. I have reached out to colleagues and contacts for some referrals on MI INS in my area, and I have reached out to two contacts, I have not heard anything back from them yet. So far, I have been unsuccessful in securing a site, and the practicum application is due for me on May 1st.  I have been trying to be efficient in securing a site and have been attempting since January, but yet to have any luck. I’m getting worried about not being able to secure a site for MSN nursing informatics.  I have attempted to contact my track practicum coordinator since January, and have yet to yield any dialogue. I also have reached out to members of the American Nurses Informatics Association that I joined, and someone I did hear back from, was not accepting any MSN students for mentoring at this time. I feel as though my options are starting to run out, and I am not able to get a hold of my FL informatics track practicum coordinator. Is there any other insight or help someone can offer for mentor-ship for Informatics in the Tampa bay area in FL? Any insights or guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

Lindsay Corwin

------------------------------
    Lindsay Corwin
    Graduate Student
    Saint Petersburg FL

• 2.  RE: MSN INFORMATICS PRACTICUM MENTOR NEEDED-TAMPA FL

Posted 03-14-2017 23:30
    Hello,

Have you tried the VA Hospitals? I know some hospitals have agreements with Nursing Informatics Practicums.

Best Regards,

Zuleyka Solis Tacoronte

• 3.  RE: MSN INFORMATICS PRACTICUM MENTOR NEEDED-TAMPA FL

Posted 03-14-2017 23:30
    Hello Lindsay,

I am sorry to hear about your current dilemma.  Unfortunately, it can be challenging to secure a practicum site for Nursing Informatics students, however, I was lucky enough to be able to do it within my healthcare organization.  Is CCN Chamberlain College of Nursing? If so, I am a former student of the MSN-Nursing Informatics program and I remember them having a virtual program for students who were unable to identify approved practicum sites.   Maybe this is something you could check into.  Should you need further assistance you can reach out to me either in this forum or by email at mary.e.bartley@gmail.com.  Hope this information helps.

Sincerely,

Mary Bartley

Mary Bartley
    MSN, RN
    Davie FL

• 4.  RE: MSN INFORMATICS PRACTICUM MENTOR NEEDED-TAMPA FL

Posted 06-09-2017 15:21
    Hello, I live northwest of Orlando and attend Chamberlain College of Nursing. I am having the same issue of finding a qualified preceptor. To my knowledge, they do not have any resources to assist in finding a preceptor, per my practicum coordinator.

Lissette Smith, BSN, RN