Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Practicum preceptor and site needed

Posted 08-18-2020 08:28
    Hello all.
    I started my MSN in Informatics in January and am needing to select (and apply for) a practicum site and preceptor.  My program is a flex path course all online, so there is not a definitive time that I will be starting my practicum; however, I anticipate around the first quarter of 2021.  As part of the program requirement, I am needing to establish this location now.  I was hoping to choose my current employment; unfortunately, we are scarce on Master-prepared nurses, and the ones that we do have are not currently working in the field of Informatics.  If anyone could point me in a good direction or contacts, I would greatly appreciate it!

Many thanks!

------------------------------
    Sarah Weemes RN
    Midlothian TX

• 2.  RE: Practicum preceptor and site needed

Posted 08-18-2020 14:12

Hi Sarah,

I could offer you a distance practicum with unique learning as long as you aren't going to Walden – I already know they won't approve me as a preceptor since I don't work for a healthcare facility. 

Cheryl

You can reach out to me at cparker@uttyler.edu if you want to discuss further

• 3.  RE: Practicum preceptor and site needed

Posted 08-23-2020 17:41
    Thank you Cheryl!  I sent you an email reply.

Sarah Weemes RN
    Midlothian TX

• 4.  RE: Practicum preceptor and site needed

Posted 08-19-2020 16:11

Hi Sarah,

I'm getting reading to capstone in mid-October, then graduate in December with my MSHI.

Good luck finding a preceptor or internship, I've had absolutely no luck, and I have lots of connections.  Hopefully, your program offers another capstone option, such as a research project.  

I think that everything that's happening with COVID makes it almost impossible.  Yours is the third request I've seen in a week.  I think we might be screwed, or at least I am.  Luckily, you have more time.  Things will likely improve in the new year.

Best of Luck:

Chrislynn Sharp, BSN, RN

Chrislynn Sharp RN
    Instructor
    Carrollton TX

• 5.  RE: Practicum preceptor and site needed

Posted 08-23-2020 17:45
    Hi Chrislynn.
    This is indeed discouraging news.  Which program/school are you in at the moment?

I'm sorry you're having these challenges and definitely looking hopeful for a better 2021.

Best of luck to you!
    Sarah

Sarah Weemes RN
    Midlothian TX