ANIA Meaningful Use Forum

• 1.  CAHIMSS cert

Posted 08-13-2020 09:32
    Hello all!

Hope everyone is staying safe (and sane) during these times! Wondering if anyone has received their CAHIMSS Certification? I have been eyeing it, but not sure it is worth the time and money quite honestly. Does it just simply add market value to a resume? Has anyone seen any changes/value in their position after obtaining it? 

Thank you and I look forward to hearing opinions and insight!

------------------------------
    Renee Wisely MS, RN
    Elkridge MD

• 2.  RE: CAHIMSS cert

Posted 08-14-2020 23:39
    Edited by Dan Fraczkowski 08-14-2020 23:40

Hi Renee,

Hope you are is staying safe too.

I would say any certification adds value to your resume, some organizations have requirements for certification as well, while others will provide reimbursement for becoming certified, and some even provide bonuses if you become certified.  At the last organization I was at, they reimbursed you for the cost of the exam after you provide proof of passing), and the current organization I practice at does as well. 

It's interesting that HIMSS has to what I would deem two "levels" of certification, the CAHIMS, and CPHIMS, with CAHIMS cost at $240.00 (for members) and CPHIMS $405.00 (for members), with renewal required every 3 years.  There are CPHIMS has stricter requirements for eligibility.

Alternatively, as an RN you could also seek board certification as an informatics nurse through the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the ANA member rate is $295.00, and in recent years they also been offering special additional discounts at times.  The benefit to the RN-BC distinction is that renewal is required every 5 years.  https://www.nursingworld.org/our-certifications/informatics-nurse/

Both routes require testing at a prometric testing center.  I chose the ANCC route for the RN-BC credential, although I am a HIMSS member as well as an ANA member. For most individuals, the economics/overall cost tends to actually be better for the ANCC certification.  Since you can renew every 5 years, you can save hundreds of dollars over your professional career.  In most states, ANA membership tends to be almost equivalent in cost to HIMSS membership, and there is a discounted rate for ANIA members at $340.00

Whatever route you take, I highly recommend certification, it highlights your capabilities and competence as an informatician.

Dan Fraczkowski
    Chicago IL

• 3.  RE: CAHIMSS cert

Posted 09-16-2020 14:16
    Hi Renee, I have both the ANCC Nursing Informatics certification and the CAHIMSS. I don't think either one helps with jobs but for me they are more about my professional development and accomplishment. I thought the CAHIMSS was more difficult that required more studying.

Brenda McNeely
    Fairfield PA